All times are UTC

New Topic Post Reply  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:06 am 
Mini Burner

Hey everyone!

First of all - a shout-out to all the cool Burnerworld cats I've met on other platforms (namely Instagram) who have encouraged a Burner-less BMX chick like me from the bottom of the world to sign up here and join in.

I'm Lixy. I'm a Kiwi, living in Brisbane, Australia. I have no tales of track glory, State Champs, trophies or skate park heroics like many in the old school BMX scene. My beginnings in BMX were humble.

I was a country kid, grew up on 1700acres in hill-country New Zealand, a total tom-boy. I loved mud, tools, Transformers, art, building and fixing stuff, sport, Weetbix (Weetabix in the UK?) and generally being outdoors. My first bike was a red Pantha Cub (16″ NZ made BMX like this one: http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/pantha/9060) with trainer wheels that I got when I was 5. At 6 I’d ditched the trainer wheels and upgraded to a 2nd hand ’70s Raleigh Honey single speed girls bike, in metallic orange, brown and cream. ‘Honey’, as I affectionately called her, could pull a wicked coaster brake skid. I remember riding that girlie Raleigh like I stole it and, all credit to the quality of Raleigh bikes, it held together like a champ.

I fell in love with BMX when my parents (perhaps taking the hint from the well worn race track the Raleigh had carved out through Mum’s flowerbeds, across the lawn, behind the shed and back) bought me a Healing Freestyler (the NZ release of the Hutch Wind Styler) for my 8th birthday in Dec ’86. From that point on the bike and I were inseparable. Together with some kids from neighbouring properties we built a killer track in our front paddock and would spend hours and hours on the weekends and after school doing time trials and building mad jumps (and landing in prickle bushes, ponds and various other hazards). The legend of real BMX tracks and things called skate parks only existed outside of our little world, but we were content, and as long as we could ride, we were free!

For the next 5 or 6 years, if I didn’t have a pencil or paintbrush in my hand, you’d find me riding or tinkering with my BMX. My poor parents had a rake permanently at the ready as I made a habit of carving up their lovely pea-gravel drive-way, repeatedly, in Guinness World Record breaking attempts at the longest coaster brake skid.

Sadly, some time in my teens, I sold the Freestyler to ‘upgrade’ and join in my friends who had all moved on to MTB. I convinced myself it was a sacrifice I had to make, just part of growing up. BIG IDIOT! Riding just wasn’t the same after that. But I guess it takes time to learn that growing up is a foolish aspiration, haha.

Fast forward a quarter of a century and here I am living in Australia as an artist, designer and musician. A side-effect of running 3 businesses, in early 2011 the necessity for stress management became a priority. And hence it came, like a bolt from the blue, I wanted to feel as free as I had when I was riding my BMX. I needed a BMX, not any BMX, AN 80s BMX! Buy one? Nahhhhh, BUILD ONE! Or two… or three… haha, you all know how it goes!

A few pics:

Me with my most recent build, a 1979 Koizumi made Madison Taipan (identical to the DB large pro, but with a circle gusset hole in place of the diamond) there's a build diary with more info on my blog here: http://www.lixbmx.com/#!madison-taipan....

Me with the Healing Freestyler I built to recreate my childhood bike, and my partner James with the '07 ball burnished PK Ripper Team I built him (so he could keep up, haha ;)). My build diary for the Healing Freestyler is here: http://www.lixbmx.com/#!healing-freestyler...

And this is me clowning around on my Repco Team Hotfoot (made by Giant, and very similar to the UK Falcon Pro Aero, I think?), the first old school build I did after getting back into it all early last year...

Now that I've left you all with information over-load, haha (sorry!) I just want to say thanks so much for having me here and apologies for not actually owning a Burner! They're as rare as hens teeth on this side of the planet, so I'm seriously loving all the amazing Burner eye-candy here on BW!

Looking forward to meeting y'all and getting involved here on the forum where and when I can!

Last edited by Lixy on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:52 am 
Site Mod

That's I'd the best intro I've ever read . Thanks for taking the time to share all that . Anyhow glad you got sorted and joined up , welcome in .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:06 am 
Mini Burner

N13L VV wrote:
That's I'd the best intro I've ever read . Thanks for taking the time to share all that . Anyhow glad you got sorted and joined up , welcome in .

Haha, by 'best' you mean 'most long-winded' right? ;) hahahaha :D

Thanks heaps Neil, you're very kind bro. Cheers for your advice with my account setup, you're a legend. I've really enjoyed meeting you and the other BW Teamsters on Instagram - the quality of the builds in the pics you guys have been posting is MAD!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:12 am 
Site Mod

Likewise Lixy . I'm still amazed how cool your padset turned out and you made it from scratch yourself .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:24 am 
Mini Burner

N13L VV wrote:
Likewise Lixy . I'm still amazed how cool your padset turned out and you made it from scratch yourself .

Me too bro!! Haha I've only made simple one colour pad designs before - I'm stoked with how well it turned out.

Silver Tintex fabric ink + commercial opaque tshirt transfer paper + black 420denier Oxford nylon = something far cooler than the sum of the parts! :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:44 am 
Site Mod

oh my! :27:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:37 am 
Site Admin

Welcome Lixy ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:00 pm 
Mini Burner

Welcome Lixy,can you build one for me to?lol
Bmx's look fab!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:53 pm 
Mini Burner

Cheers guys! Thanks heaps for the welcome, and the props :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:29 pm 
Site Mod

Booooooom that's how to join a forum. Big welcome from me mate.
Loving the vids on www.lixbmx.com

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 >> Next